About CLAT 2021
CLAT 2021 - The Consortium of National Law Universities (CNLUs) has released the CLAT 2021 application form on January 1, 2021. The consortium has rescheduled the the Common Law Admission Test (CLAT) 2021 exam, which will be now conducted on June 13 (2-4 pm) instead of May 9. The change in exam date was done to avoid clash with CBSE board exams. The exam will be conducted in offline (pen and paper) mode. The conducting body will issue the CLAT 2021 admit card to successfully registered candidates tentatively in the 3rd week of April. The admit card of CLAT 2021 will inform about the roll number and test centre details including the timings of the exam.
Latest CLAT 2021 Updates - CLAT 2021 application form has been released, Apply now!
Common Law Admission Test (CLAT) is a comprehension based test, primarily designed to test aptitude and skills of the candidates necessary for a legal education rather than prior knowledge. CLAT UG has five sections - English including comprehension, General knowledge including current affairs, Legal aptitude and Elementary maths. Each section will be comprised of 3-4 comprehensive passage on the basis of which multiple choice type questions will be asked.
CLAT LLM or PG on the other hand is a graduate-level comprehension based test. Questions in CLAT LLM are asked from the compulsory subjects of the LLB graduation such as Constitutional Law, Jurisprudence, Administrative Law, Law of Contract, Torts, Family Law, Criminal Law, Property Law, Company Law and others. There will be 120 objective type questions in CLAT LLM framed from the comprehension passages. The duration of the CLAT is 2 hours for both UG and PG.
What is Common Law Admission Test or CLAT?
The full form of CLAT is Common Law Admission Test. It is a national-level law entrance exam conducted by the Consortium of National Law Universities (CNLU. There are 22 national law universities that participate in the Common Law Admission Test (CLAT). However, the CLAT 2021 scores are also used by more than 70 law schools for admissions to various UG and PG law programmes.
CLAT is conducted for both undergraduate and postgraduate law admissions. The CLAT UG is conducted for admissions to 5-year integrated law programmes whereas the CLAT PG is conducted for admissions to LLM programmes offered by the colleges. Note that, CLAT is not conducted for admissions to 3-year LLB programme.
CLAT 2021 Highlights
|Full Exam Name||Common Law Admission Test|
|Short Exam Name||CLAT|
|Conducting Body||Consortium of NLUs|
|Frequency of Conduct||Once a year|
|Exam Level||National Level Exam|
|Mode of Application||Online|
|Application Fee (General)||4000 Rs [Online]|
|Mode of Exam||Offline|
|Mode of Counselling||Online|
|Exam Duration||2 Hours|
|Number of Seats||2596 Seats|
CLAT 2021 Important Dates
Upcoming Dates and Events
01 Jan, 2021 - 31 Mar, 2021
Application | Mode: Online Ongoing
19 Apr, 2021 (Tentative)
Admit Card | Mode: Online
13 Jun, 2021
Exam | Mode: Offline
Past Dates and Events
26 Dec, 2020
Advertisement | Mode: Online
The Consortium of NLUs has prescribed the eligibility criteria for both CLAT UG and CLAT PG. The eligibility criteria of CLAT 2021 includes educational qualification and age limit and is explained below. Before filling the CLAT application form 2021, candidates should check the eligibility criteria of CLAT 2021.
CLAT UG Eligibility criteria 2021
- Educational qualification: The candidate should have passed 10+2 or any equivalent exam from a recognised university or board. However, the candidates appearing in the qualifying exam may also appear in the Common Law Admission Test. However, such candidates will be offered admissions only if they fulfil the other parameters of the eligibility criteria.
- Qualifying exam: General category candidates need minimum 45% marks in the qualifying exam, while SC and ST candidates need only 40% marks.
- Age limit: There is no upper age limit for appearing in CLAT 2021.
CLAT PG Eligibility criteria 2021
- Educational Qualification - The candidate should have complete LLB graduation (3-year LLB or 5-year integrated LLB) from a university recognised by the Bar Council of India. Candidates appearing in the final year/semester of their graduation in 2021 are also eligible to appear in the examination.
- Qualifying exam: The candidate must score at least 50% marks in the qualifying exam. The SC and ST candidates are required to score at least 45% marks in the graduation (qualifying exam).
- There is no age limit for appearing in CLAT LLM.
CLAT 2021 Eligibility Criteria - Salient features
The candidate needs to meet the CLAT eligibility criteria for admission to either the 5-year LLB or one-year LLM programme.
- All candidates need to confirm their eligibility before filling the application form.
- Any candidate who doesn't meet the CLAT eligibility criteria 2021 can be disqualified at any stage of the admission process.
- The information shared by the candidate at the time of filling the CLAT 2021 application form will be checked at the time of the document verification process, which is an integral part of the counselling process.
- Admission process: Simply meeting the CLAT 2021 eligibility criteria is no guarantee of admission, as it is just of the multiple step admission process. The candidate has to next appear in the entrance exam and participate in the counselling cum seat allotment process.
Mode of Application : Online
Mode of Payment : Net Banking | Credit Card | Debit Card
The Consortium of NLUs has released the application form of CLAT on January 1, 2021. The application form of CLAT is available in online mode at consortiumofnlus.ac.in. Candidates who want to appear in the CLAT UG/PG exam will be required to fill and submit the application form before the end of the last date. In order to fill the application form, the candidates will have to register at the CLAT login portal. The detailed CLAT 2021 application process is explained below.
How to fill CLAT 2021 application form
- Registration: The first step in the application process, the candidate has to register by entering details of their name, email id, mobile number, and other details.
- Fill in relevant details: The application form will have various sections like personal, academic, and contact details which have to be duly filled. The candidate will also be required to select the program of study (CLAT UG or PG), and their choice of NLUs in the order of priority. The list of NLUs will be given in a drop-down menu, from which the candidate may make selections and set a priority list.
- Upload documents: Scanned copies of signature, photograph and other documents in the prescribed specification (refer to the table below) has to be uploaded.
CLAT 2021 - Document specification
Image size (maximum)
State domicile certificate
- Application fee: Depending on the category of the candidate, the application fee may vary as shown in the table below.
General/ OBC/PwD/NRI/PIO//OCI category
CLAT application form 2021 - Points to remember
- One must fill the CLAT application form only if they meet the prescribed eligibility criteria.
- In such a case where candidates fill the application form but don't meet the eligibility criteria, then the candidate may be disqualified at any stage of the admission process.
- Note that during the document verification process of CLAT counselling 2021, all details entered in the application form will be verified. Exam officials will demand originals of all essential documents to be produced before them. In case they find any inconsistency in the information shared in the application form, the candidate most likely would be disqualified from further admission processes.
- Also, simply meeting the eligibility criteria is no guarantee for admission, as final CLAT 2021 seat allotment will be based on the merit rank of the candidate in the online exam.
Know how to fill CLAT application form
|SC, ST||Online||Female, Transgender, Male||₹ 3500|
|OBC, General||Online||Female, Transgender, Male||₹ 4000|
|OBC, General||PWD||Online||Female, Transgender, Male||₹ 4000|
Current affairs, including general knowledge
With the help of CLAT preparation tips 2021, candidates will get a fair idea of how to prepare for the Common Law Admission Test. Candidates can check here the important points of CLAT 2021 Preparation Tips -
- Candidates need to be well-versed with the exam pattern and syllabus.
- Practice sufficient mock tests and sample papers to edify learning and to hone problem-solving skills.
- CLAT aspirants are also advised to follow a proper time-table for preparation.
- Candidates should choose books that are easy to follow, meet the quality standards, and contain lots of practice material to prepare for the exam.
- Regular revision is the key to scoring good marks in exams.
- Maintaining equanimity is crucial for effective preparation. To achieve that stay in the moment, instead of flying into the future or pondering the past.
CLAT 2021 last week (s) preparation and exam-day tips
- Solve sample papers: The last most should involve extensive solving of CLAT 2021 sample papers. While in the preliminary phases of the CLAT exam preparation one may solve one sample paper a week, the number in the last month and weeks can be increased. One may solve as many sample papers as possible.
- Mock test: The idea of CLAT mock tests 2021 is to get an exam-like experience, which may include pressure-cooker situation. Considering the exam will be now conducted in online mode, mock tests will help the candidate to understand navigation, how questions are presented, how questions can be answered, and manage time. Note that there will be 150 multiple choice questions that have to be answered in 120 minutes. This means speed and accuracy will be important qualities for success in the exam.
- Don't study new topics close to the exam: Unless you are thoroughly done with what you have already taken up, better don't get entangled in new topics, because it will eat into your last phase of exam preparation. Remember the last phase is all about acceleration, which include doing fast revision, solving sample papers, and taking mock tests. But if you bring in new topics, you will break the flow; also note that new topics will take more time to master, which you can ill afford at this stage.
- How to answer the CLAT question paper 2021: The questions asked in the CLAT 2021 exam can be placed in three groups: easy, moderate, and difficult. It is recommended that the candidate starts with easy questions, before answering moderate and difficult questions. Also, if one gets stuck with a difficult question, better not spend too much time on it, but instead move on to the next question.
- Stay composed even in difficult situations during exams: Sometimes the question paper may turn out to be more difficult than expected, or you may not be able to answer an easy-looking question. In those situations, it is important to keep one's cool and not get rattled. Take a deep breath and move on to the next question.
CLAT UG Sample Papers - Based on new CLAT exam pattern
Download CLAT subject wise sample papers
|CLAT sample papers for quantitative ability||Download here|
|CLAT Logical reasoning sample papers||Download here|
|CLAT Sample Paper for General Knowledge and English||Download here|
|CLAT Legal Reasoning Sample Paper||Download here|
CLAT 2021 best books for exam preparation
When preparing for CLAT, it is important to have a dependable and high-quality study material. The CLAT best books 2021 will are those that are easy to understand, contain few to no errors, including problem sets and instructions.
Best books for CLAT 2021 for English
- Word Power Made Easy by Norman Lewis
- High School English Grammar and Composition by Wren & Martin
- English is Easy by Chetananand Singh
- Objective General English by RS Aggarwal
- Barron’s Pocket Guide to Vocabulary
CLAT 2021 Best Books for General Knowledge
- Pearson General Knowledge Manual
- Lucent’s General Knowledge
- Manorama Year Book
- India Year Book
- Competition Success Review
- Pratiyogita Darpan
- The Hindu Newspaper
- The Indian Express Newspaper
- Hindustan Times
- The Telegraph Newspaper
Best books for CLAT 2021 for Legal Aptitude
- Universal’s CLAT Guide
- Legal Awareness and Legal Aptitude by AP Bhardwaj
- LexisNexis Butterworths
- Bare Acts of Indian Constitution
CLAT 2021 Best books for Logical Reasoning
- Verbal and Non-Verbal Reasoning by RS Aggarwal
- Analytical Reasoning by MK Pandey
- Analytical and Logical Reasoning by R.S. Aggarwal
Last year, the Consortium of National Law Universities had changed the exam pattern of CLAT for both UG and PG tests. CLAT as per the updated pattern is a comprehensive based test. The paper will be consist of some comprehension passages and each passage will be followed by 4-5 multiple choice type questions. The other important changes to the CLAT UG exam pattern, include reducing the number of objective questions to 150 from 200 in CLAT UG and 120 from 15o in CLAT LLM.
The question paper for the undergraduate program will have five sections: Quantitative Techniques, English, Current Affairs, Legal Reasoning, and Logical Reasoning. The updated CLAT exam pattern is provided below.
CLAT Exam pattern 2021
|Type of questions||CLAT UG - Objective type test|
|CLAT PG - Objective + Subjective type questions|
|Total number of question||CLAT UG - 150 MCQs|
|CLAT PG - 120 MCQs|
This year no descriptive questions will be asked.
|Exam duration||2 hours|
|Negative marking||0.25 marks will be deducted for each incorrect answer|
CLAT UG syllabus and marks distribution
Number of Questions
Current Affairs, including General Knowledge
CLAT PG syllabus 2021
|Law of Torts||Jurisprudence|
|Family Law||Law of Contracts|
|Criminal Law||Intellectual Property Law|
|International Law||Property Law|
Candidates appearing in the national-level exam could access the CLAT 2021 mock test online. There are multiple benefits of taking CLAT mock test 2021, some of which are enumerated below:
- Mock tests contain similar types of questions to those asked in the entrance exam. So, solving these problems will help the candidate judge the difficultly level of the exam and plan accordingly.
- The success in mock tests can be taken as indicative of exam readiness or lack of it. If readiness is lacking, one may need to pull up one's socks and try harder.
- Success in these tests would also give the candidate lot of confidence that he/she can carry to the exam.
- Mock tests will teach the candidate time management skills and also how to wriggle out of a tricky problem by keeping a cool head.
- Effective prioritising of questions is an art that can be cultivated by solving the CLAT mock test. Students who master this art will be able to lock down all the sure-shot questions first, before moving on to tricky and not-so sure questions.
CLAT mock test 2021 - Additional mock test for online exam
In view of the COVID-19 situation in the country, the exam moved to the online mode from the pen-and-paper mode. Now to help candidates with the transition, the exam conducting body conducted a series of mock tests both for the undergraduate and the postgraduate programs. For CLAT UG 2021, a total of five mock tests were conducted, with the first mock test held on July 17. In case of CLAT PG 2021, three mock tests were scheduled, with the first held on July 24.
How to take CLAT 2021 mock tests
- Click on the mock test link (It will be updated)
- A login window will open
- Enter user id and password
- On login, a dashboard will be displayed
- Click on the mock test link to start the test
- Go through all the instructions, and terms and conditions
- Take the mock test.
The Consortium of NLUs will release the CLAT 2021 admit card to all successfully registered candidates in the third week of April. To download the CLAT admit card, the candidate needs to log-in by entering one's mobile number and password. On exam day, the applicant needs to carry with them the admit card of CLAT 2021 without fail, along with a valid photo ID proof.
The CLAT admit card would carry such details like the name and address of the exam venue, date and time of CLAT 2021 entrance exam, and roll number of the candidate. Candidates are also advised to carefully go through all the exam day guidelines mentioned on the CLAT 2021 admit card to stay out of trouble. Keep the CLAT admit card safe until the admission process is over.
Last year, the COVID-19 pandemic situation in the country, the NLU consortium has released a slew of medical and safety guidelines.
Medical and other safety guidelines in view of COVID-19
- When reporting at the CLAT exam centre 2021, students must wear COVID-19 protection masks
- Considering the OCVID-19 spreads when people come in close contact, the student must strictly follow social distancing norms.
- It is recommended that the candidates carry with them personal hand sanitizers (50 ml)
- To ensure social distancing at the exam venue, exam conducting officials will employ stuff at the venue.
- Guards will be placed at the entry gates, who will be equipped with Thermo Guns for testing temperature of candidates.
- Any candidate who shows COVID-19 symptoms, such candidates will be isolated.
- All CLAT 2021 exam centres will be sanitised. Also, the exam centres will be provided sufficient hand sanitizer and hand soap
- Following items are allowed inside CLAT test venue 2021: mask, gloves, personal transparent water bottle, personal hand sanitizer, a simple pen, and exam-related documents ( CLAT 2021 admit card and photo ID proof) are allowed inside the exam centre.
|Jammu and Kashmir||Jammu|
Documents Required at Exam
- CLAT admit card 2021
- An identity proof in original (Driving License/Aadhaar Card/PAN Card)
The provisional answer key of CLAT 2021 will be released in online mode only. By consulting keys given in the provisional CLAT answer key, the candidate will be able to calculate the number of questions they managed to respond to correctly. Using the official CLAT 2021 marking scheme, the candidate will be able to calculate the probable score, and in turn their chances of admission (use previous years' cutoff data for the purpose).
Any candidate who has any objections regarding any of the key (s) will be allowed to filed objections. Authorities, after considering all complaints will release the final answer key of CLAT 2021. The keys given in the final CLAT answer key will be considered to be the final authority or correct answers to questions asked in the exam.
CLAT Question Paper & Answer Key - Previous Year's
|Question Paper||Answer Key (Final)||Question paper||Answer Key (Provisional)||Answer Key (Final)|
|5-year Law Programme||Series A||Click here||Click here||Click here|
|Series B||Click here||Click here||Click here|
|Series C||Click here||Click here||Click here|
|Series D||Click here||Click here||Click here|
|LLM Programme||Series A||Click here||Click here||Click here|
|Series B||Click here||Click here||Click here|
|Series C||Click here||Click here||Click here|
|Series D||Click here||Click here||Click here|
What is the procedure to calculate probable score using CLAT Answer Key
As per the official marking scheme of CLAT 2021, every correct answer will fetch 1 mark, while for and an incorrect answer 0.25 marks will be deducted. Use the following formula to calculate probable scores.
CLAT Scores = Total numbers of Correct options*1 - Total number of incorrect responses*0.25
If the number of correct answers is 100 and incorrect answers is 40 then the total marks will be calculated as-
Total CLAT Marks = (100*1) - (40*0.25)
Therefore; Total marks = 100 - 10 = 90
The Consortium will announce the result of CLAT 2021 in online mode only. Candidates can access the CLAT 2021 result in online mode by logging in using their registration/application number and date of birth. The CLAT result will contain all the important details related to the candidate's performance in the exam.
The information on CLAT result includes the qualifying status of the candidate, section-wise and overall marks along with the personal information. After the declaration of the result, candidates will have to appear in the counselling and seat allotment process of participating NLUs. The admissions will be offered on the basis of merit and maximum intake of the universities.
How to download CLAT result 2021
- Click on the result link (will be updated on this page once result is declared)
- In the login window, enter registration/application number and date of birth
- The CLAT result 2021 would be displayed on screen
- Download and take a printout of the result
Details mentioned on the CLAT 202 result
- Name of the candidate
- Roll number
- Category under which admission is sought
- Programme of study (UG / PG)
- CLAT 2021 score
- CLAT All India Rank (AIR)
- CLAT 2021category rank (CR)
CLAT 2021 Merit List
The exam officials will prepare the merit list of CLAT 2021 based on marks obtained by candidates in the entrance exam. Those with higher scores will be ranked higher in the CLAT merit list 2021. However, if two or more candidates score the same marks, the tie-breaker will be used to decide the merit rank.
CLAT Merit List 2021 - Tie-breaking procedure
- The candidate who has a higher score in the “Legal Aptitude” section of CLAT 2021 will be placed higher in the merit list
- If this step, the candidate who is senior in age will get a higher rank
- If the tie is still undecided, a computerized draw of lots will be used to decide the merit rank of such candidates.
The CLAT cut off will be released by all participating NLUs separately. The Cutoff of CLAT 2021 will be the minimum marks (or lowest rank) for which admissions into an NLU is offered. The various parameters on which CLAT 2021 cutoff would depend include - number of applications received for admission, sanctioned seat intake, the performance of applicants in the entrance exam, etc. Below are the details of the previous year's cut-off of CLAT with the details like opening rank and closing rank.
CLAT 2019 Cutoff
NLU Odisha Cuttack
CLAT Cutoff 2018 - General Category
National Law Universities (NLUs)
For detailed cut off of CLAT
Mode of Counselling: Online
Candidates who qualify in the computer-based, online, centre based exam will be called for attending the CLAT counselling which will be conducted in ONLINE mode. For appearing in the CLAT 2021 counselling, all eligible candidates will be issued CLAT 2021 counselling call letters in online mode.
The consortium invites candidates equivalent to FIVE times the seat intake in each category for the counselling process. Eligible candidates need to register for counselling, wherein they have to select/edit NLU preferences and pay the counselling fee of Rs. 50,000.
The allotment of CLAT seats will be made basis the merit rank of the candidate and NLU preference selected. The Consortium will release the seat allotment in three rounds. Note that Upgrade option will be available for only Round I and II.
Post Round III seat allotment, the candidate has TWO options before him:
- Accept the allotted seat
- Exit the admission process.
Documents Required at Counselling
- Printout of CLAT application form 2021
- CLAT admit card 2021
- CLAT score card 2021
- Class 10th marksheet (for date of birth rroof)
- Class 12th marksheet (academic qualification)
- Caste certificate (if applicable)
- Specially-abled certificate (if applicable)
- NRI certificate (if applicable)
- Sponsored NRI certificate (if applicable)
- Domicile certificate (if applicable)
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Question: What is the full form of CLAT?
The full form of CLAT is Common Law Admission Test. CLAT is conducted for admission to national law universities of India.
Question: What is the eligibility for CLAT 2021 UG?
As per the eligibility criteria of CLAT, the candidate should have completed the Class 12 from a recognized board with a minimum 45 per cent marks (40 per cent for SC/ST category candidates). There is no age limit for appearing in the CLAT examination.
Question: How many college participate in Common Law Admission Test?
There are 22 national law universities which offer admissions in various law programmes. Further, there are many other CLAT affiliated institutes and other colleges that offer admissions on the basis of CLAT scores.
Question: What are the changes introduced in the CLAT exam pattern?
The new CLAT exam pattern has been released. the changes include reducing the number of questions from 200 to 150. Now, the questions asked in the exam will be a comprehension type. At postgraduate level, the number of questions have been reduced from 150 to 120.
Question: What law courses are offered after cracking CLAT exam?
There are various UG and PG courses that are offered through CLAT, these include, BA LLB, BBA LLB, BCom LLB, BSc LLB, LLM specialisation etc.
Question: When will the CLAT 2021 exam be conducted?
The CLAT 2021 exam date has been announced by the exam authorities on December 26. The CLAT exam will be conducted on May 9, 2021.
Question: When will be the admit card of CLAT 2021 be released?
The CLAT 2021 admit card will be released tentatively in the 3rd week of April. Candidates will be able to download the admit card after logging into the CLAT admission portal.
Question: When will the application form of CLAT 2021 be released?
CLAT 2021 application form has been released on January 1 at consortiumofnlus.ac.in.
Question: I am studying in 12th class exam, can I appear in CLAT 2021?
Yes, if you are appearing in the Class 12th exam 2021, you are eligible to appear in the CLAT UG examination 2021.
Question: How many seats are offered by National Law Universities through CLAT?
At the UG level, the exam authorities will offer around 2596 seats. For LLM courses, the colleges/universities have a combined intake of 783 seats.
Questions related to CLAT
kl university entrance exam clat or aplawcet
KLU College of Law offers integrated BBA-LLB for which the eligibility criteria is passed 10+2 from a recognized board with 45% aggregate, there is relaxation of 5% in case of reserved category, admission is done through CLAT as well as AP LAWCET, for other candidates who don't opt for any of it can go for the entrance test to be conducted by the university followed by interview, to know more details regarding this visit our page at https://www.careers360.com/colleges/klu-college-of-law-guntur
Clat exam ki tayri kase kartai hai
Clearing Common Law Admission Test (CLAT) 2021 is a dream for many law aspirants.
So, for preparing for clat you should first search the syllabus. Get a complete knowledge of the syllabus of clat. After that make arrangements of the best study material for clat exam. Then study each and every topic with detail and with concept.
Also your must test the newspapers daily. Because these ate a very good source of current affairs.
You can also enrich your gk with the monthly magazines.
After that when each topic is finished then try to make problems from that. Also do practice the previous years clat question paper in real time as it will help you to get the depth of your preparation.
And practice some mock tests too. Also you can join some coaching institutes for preparation.
Also check out the following link to get an insight about how to prepare for clat :-
clat exam m subject kon - kon sai hai
CLAT 2021 shall be conducted in offline mode where the paper will have 150 questions from five different subjects and the exam duration is 2 hours. The five sections in CLAT examinations are
- English including Comprehension.
- Current affairs including General Knowledge.
- Legal Reasoning.
- Logical Reasoning.
- Quantitative Techniques ( Mathematics)
The Consortium of National Law Universities has released the CLAT 2021 application form on January 1, 2021. The exam will be conducted on June 13.
Check the link below for all the details regarding CLAT 2021
I am planning to give CLAT and AILET in 2022, when should I start preparing for their current affairs??
Usually the current affairs are for a period of one year, hence as per the release of application form, prior to it you can prepare for the current affairs, the best way to deal with this is to read newspaper on a daily basis, so that while you're near to appearing for the exam, you can go through various magazines for covering the portion of revision, there are various competitive exam sites also which offer monthly compilations you can go through these as well, and once you form a habit of daily reading what happens is you're well acquainted with the latest happening, and it's easy to recall what you have read, here comes the importance of daily newspaper reading, you can go through sample papers as well as this will give you an idea about the specific topics that are being covered.
should I take the past clat question papers since the pattern has changed from 2020?
Even if the clat pattern is changed then also it is important to give or practice the previous years question papers in real time. Because previous years question papers is important to know the level of questions asked and also it is necessary to know the depth of your preparation.
So, don't skip practising the previous years question papers.
As for the latest pattern you can practice the model test papers in real time.